20 year old man dies from blood clot after excessive playing

Posted on Aug 2 2011 - 11:12am by Thomas Sharp

A 20 year old man in the UK died due to a blood clot after playing an extended Xbox gaming session, reports say. Now, his family is pleading to other parents to warn and protect their children from excessive gaming.

The autopsy of Chris Staniforth, a 20 year old man from Sheffield, revealed that he suffered from deep vein thrombosis, which is triggered by sitting in one position for extended periods of time. Staniforth, said his parents, would stay up and play his Xbox console for up to 12 hours at a time.

A coroner said that his death was caused by a blood clot formed in his left calf before moving to his lungs. Once it reached the lungs, it caused a very fatal blockage.

“Chris lived for his Xbox. When he got into a game he could play it for hours and hours on end, sometimes 12 hours in a stretch. He got sucked in playing Halo online against people from all over the world,” said David Staniforth, Chris’s father.

David also said that he is not blaming Microsoft, the gaming console’s manufacturer. “It isn’t their fault that people use them for so long. But I want to highlight the dangers that can arise.”

In a statement, Microsoft said that they have always encouraged responsible gaming through their campaigns and they recommend gamers to take periodic breaks for exercising and doing other things.


via: Huffington Post

1 Comment so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

  1. Sean O'Connor August 2, 2011 at 7:18 pm - Reply

    Here is one man who won't be re-spawning

Leave A Response