Apple hits the 15 billion app download mark

Posted on Jul 7 2011 - 9:47pm by Julius

Apple has just announced that a massive 15 billion downloads have been reached from their App Store. The 15 billion apps have been downloaded by 200 million iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad users.

The Cupertino tech giant also announced that its App Store has more than 425,000 apps available to download, with 100,000+ being available exclusively for the iPad. These are very impressive numbers considering that the company’s iTunes App Store was launched just three years ago.

Apple’s App Store, which can be accessed via an app from the iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, is the key factor of its success as it provides a “complete ecosystem.”

“In just three years, the revolutionary App Store has grown to become the most exciting and successful software marketplace the world has ever seen,” said Apple’s Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing Philip Schiller. “Thank you to all of our amazing developers who have filled it with over 425,000 of the coolest apps and to our over 200 million iOS users for surpassing 15 billion downloads.”

Apple only gets 30 percent of the revenue from the store, while the other 70 percent of the revenue goes to the developer. The App Store can also be accessed via iTunes that is installed on a Mac OS X or Windows OS.

After its success, Apple registered the ‘App Store’ trademark, which was tentatively approved in 2011. Apple sued Amazon.com for using the name “Appstore” for its online Android store last month and on July 6, a US judge denied the company’s attempt to stop Amazon for using the term.

About the Author

Leave A Response